A little more than 40 years ago a monster took control of people’s minds, and then murdered them: 917 men, women, children and babies. The men and women had, by in large, turned their minds over to Jones……I will just simply call it voluntary spiritual slavery, but that of course greatly oversimplifies the situation at Jonestown.
Some of my readers may not have even heard of the Jonestown massacre, and some were not born until well after that fateful day in November, 1978. So, I would first suggest, so you better understand where I am coming from in today’s blog post, that you read about Jim Jones and Jonestown on the web. At the time this incident rocked the news media around the world.
Jim Jones gathered followers in Northern California, mostly poor and mostly people of color. This was all taking place in the middle of the revolutionary movement of those years, which included the Black Panthers, the Symbionese Liberation Army and in 1985 the police bombing and fire storm of MOVE, resulting in several children being burned to death and many adult members being sentenced to very long prison terms. Jim Jones may be called revolutionary on one hand, but criminally insane is the truth. I leave it to future juries to decide about BMT (and there will be juries).
The title of this piece: oh yes, there are many resemblances between Jones and Trump (Bottomless Moral Turpitude, as I prefer to refer to him). Let’s review just a few.
- Fostered conspiracy theories of being targeted.
- Used the power of the pulpit to lie, cheat and steal.
- Turned against the United States, and looked to Russia (then the Soviet Union).
- Had a “congregation” of followers who felt left out, including many on the lower end of the economic ladder. The majority of Jones’ followers were poor and Black, searching for something more in life; the majority of Trump’s followers are Whites who feel economically ignored, and poor Whites.
- Hired advantaged and wealthy lawyers as foisters of cover stories and promoters of the conspiracy theories.
- Stole poor people’s income and medical support: for different reasons, but to the same effects.
- Claimed to be “the Chosen One,” in so many words.
- Required total loyalty, and called those who piped up to disagree, “disloyal,” and took severe action against those persons.
- Hated politicians who investigated: Jones had Congressman Leo Ryan and others accompanying him, murdered while they were trying to depart Jonestown. I don’t know what is in the deranged mind of BMT, but we all heard him say, “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody….”
- Present a physical appearance of ego, swagger and self-indulgence.
- Tore families apart; stole children from parents.
- Pitted family members against one another to prove power.
- Inner circle all close, white and affiliated with wealth.
- Deteriorating mental condition.
- Spoke in bafflegab.
- Jones fled to Guyana; BMT flees to Mar Lago.
- Allegiance to false God: Jones – self-righteousness; BMT – M-O-N-E-Y.
- Jones had the power to cause most of the over 900 followers to commit suicide by drinking his “cool-ade.” BMT has the power in his hands to destroy the planet. MeMemmm